Oil Pulling has been used for overall health for thousands of years. It is one of the recommended health treatments in the Ayurvedic texts, an ancient medical system that is still in use today. Ayurvedic practitioners—and oil pullers—are found around the world.
How It Works
Oil Pulling is simple to do. First thing in the morning, a little coconut oil is swished around the mouth or gargled. Other oils can be used, but virgin cold-pressed coconut oil is a very popular choice. After 15-20 minutes, the oil is spit out into the trash. (Don’t spit out coconut oil into the sink. At room temperature, coconut oil becomes a solid and could clog pipes over time.)
The primary use of oil pulling is to improve oral health. The mouth contains toxic bacteria that cause infection, and we now know that these bacteria are responsible for gingivitis and other health issues. The ancient Hindus knew that a clean mouth was connected to improved health. Swishing the oil around the mouth removes many of the bacteria, preventing them from spreading. The constant movement of the oil in the mouth is said to “pull” the toxins from the teeth, gums and tongue.
The Indian Journal of Dental Research published a study in 2009 that compared oil pulling with mouthwash. They found that teens with gingivitis who oil pulled had less plaque, lower gingival scores and fewer microorganisms that the other group that used mouthwash.
In 2014, a study in the Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research reported that oil pulling reduced bad breath by eliminating the microbes that cause bad breath. They stated that the oil pulling worked just as well as chlorhexidine, an antimicrobial mouth rinse, when treating bad breath.
- Enjoy whiter teeth and a fresh, squeaky clean mouth.
- Oil pulling can help reduce toothache pain.
- It can prevent bleeding gums and make teeth less sensitive.
- Removing the bacteria helps prevent cavities.
- It helps to prevent bad breath.
- Oil pulling is known for strengthening teeth and gums.
- It has helped to reduce jaw pain for some users.
How to Oil Pull
- Before brushing teeth or eating in the morning, swish about one tablespoon of coconut oil in the mouth for 15-20 minutes.
- If you can’t do it that long at first, work up to it. It’s most effective when done for that amount of time.
- When done, the oil will look milky.
- Spit the oil into the trash. Do not swallow the oil.
- Rinse mouth with warm water.
- Brush teeth.
- Your mouth feels great!
Why Use Coconut Oil?
Coconut Oil Pulling is very popular because coconut oil is cholesterol-free and 40% composed of lauric acid that has many potential health benefits. Virgin cold-pressed coconut oil is believed to increase a user’s energy and metabolism. Coconut oil has antibacterial and anti-parasitic properties and contains a number of essential vitamins. It’s important to use virgin, cold-pressed coconut oil. The cheaper coconut oils are heat-treated, which eliminates most of the “good stuff.”
Cocowhite is an improvement over plain old coconut oil. This virgin, cold-pressed coconut oil is flavored with mint, vanilla or lemon. You get all of the health benefits, but a much better taste! This is the perfect way to improve your health and your smile!